Internet provider awards Touch of Hope
Through this program, the company awarded more than $100,000 in grants during the winter of 2021 to 32 nonprofit organizations across its 24-state footprint.
Touch of Hope, which provides purses filled with essentials to women who left an abusive situation as well as basic hygiene products to homeless shelters and foster care, received the grant from Fidelity to continue its support to women and other nonprofits in the Hermann and New Haven area.
“When a woman leaves an abusive situation oftentimes, she has to leave quickly without her purse, and for many women a purse is a necessity. It is a way to carry everything with them and in most cases, women cannot afford to replace it or purchase the items inside,” said Julie McCollum, Touch of Hope founder and president. “By providing these women with a purse filled with the essentials, it not only helps to meet an immediate need, but also gives a touch of hope that things will get better. The funding from this grant allows us to continue our work and provide a basic need for a desperate situation.”
“We’re dedicated to helping families in our community overcome obstacles because of financial difficulties and little acts, like including peanut butter in food bags for our Friday Backpack Program or providing duffle bags to children in foster care, (which) can make all the difference to children and families,” said Faith Barnes, Hope Alliance of Missouri Executive Director. “We’re able to ensure that our children receive proper nutrition through our weekend food program. Additionally, by providing duffle bags, children will have something they own , and knowing they can bring their belongings with them can give them great comfort during a time of transition.”
The Charitable Giving Fund annually awards more than $200,000 in grants to local 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations served by Fidelity and the other Cable One family of brands (Sparklight®, ValuNet Fiber, and Hargray), and concentrates support in the following priority areas:
- Education and Digital Literacy
- Food Insecurity
- community development
Nonprofit organizations will have the opportunity to apply for a grant during open application periods each spring and fall. Applications for spring 2022 grants will open between April 1 -30, 2022.
“Through our philanthropic initiatives and support of our local nonprofit organizations, we are helping to build strong and vibrant communities, improve quality of life, and make a positive difference in the cities and towns where we live and work,” said Julie Laulis, Cable One President and CEO.
The Charitable Giving Fund is an extension of the company’s existing corporate social responsibility efforts, which include:
- Chromebooks for Kids, an initiative in which the company donates Chromebooks to Title I schools across its footprint. To date, the company has donated more than 2,000 Chromebooks to help bridge the digital divide in schools that lack funding.
- Supporting national organizations dedicated to advancing racial equality, justice, education and diversity, including the Equal Justice Initiative, the Emma Bowen Foundation and the National Diversity Council.
- Supporting the mission of Special Olympics Arizona, which provides year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic-type sports, as well as health, arts, and leadership and advocacy programs for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.
- Planting trees through the Arbor Day Foundation on behalf of customers who switch to paperless billing. To date, the company has planted 120,000 trees in its markets and national forests.
- Supporting the mission of Keep America Beautiful in cleaning up and beautifying communities across the US