Art

Meghan Markle news: Duchess and Duke of Sussex mocked claim for Oscars | Royal | Messages

Prince Harry and Meghan want “publicity,” says Cohen

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were advised to perform on stage at the awards ceremony, which attracted around 9.23 million viewers in 2021. However, they have a strained relationship with media coverage and said they wanted to achieve a different dynamic with the public eye after stepping down from the royal family.

Darren Grimes, an activist and journalist, scorned the Duke and Duchess’s insistence on privacy in light of their alleged appearance onstage for the Oscars.

The British news anchor tweeted: “I only wish the media would leave this selfless couple alone to present Hollywood awards to an audience of millions in privacy!!!”

Prince Harry, 37, and Meghan, 40, could present the grand prize at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood on Sunday.

Harry and Meghan were first approached two years ago but “politely declined” to present an award.

Harry and Meghan have a strained relationship with media coverage (Image: Getty)

Queen Harry Megan

They sought a different dynamic in public after retiring from royal life (Image: Getty)

They added: “Obviously they would pull off a big coup this year and could use their performance to deliver an impassioned speech of their choosing, now probably in Ukraine.”

The Duke and Duchess have made donations to various charities supporting humanitarian work in war-torn Ukraine through their Archewell Foundation.

The US source went on to say that the Duke and Duchess, who were hosting part of the awards ceremony, would be “the icing on the cake” for the Oscars’ producers.

They said: “Show producers Will Packer and Shayla Cowan have put together some amazing A-list names to bring to the stage and Harry and Meghan would be the icing on the cake.”

READ MORE: Sophie Wessex ‘disaster’ after marrying into the royal family

Harry Philip

Prince Harry will not return to the UK for a memorial service dedicated to his late grandfather (Image: Getty)

However, the source cited the recent controversy over which events the Duke of Sussex would like to attend as the main reason why the couple would not step up and present the award at the Dolby Theatre.

They said: “It’s still up in the air but in all likelihood – especially after recent publicity – Harry won’t be attending.

“It would be a last kick in the teeth for the royal family if he did – he’s too nervous to fly to London without police protection but happy to be in front of a huge live audience at the Dolby Theater in Hollywood. Not a great look.”

A spokesman for the Duke of Sussex confirmed earlier this month that Prince Harry would not be returning to the UK for a memorial service dedicated to his late grandfather, Prince Philip.

DO NOT MISS:
Royal Family LIVE: Meghan’s gesture tells Harry the tide has turned [LIVE]
How the royal family chooses their partners – body language [INSIGHT]
Christopher Biggins claims Queen is ‘largely wheelchair confined’ [REPORT]

Philip's funeral

Only 30 people were allowed to attend Prince Philip’s funeral (Image: Getty)

The Duke of Sussex’s return to Britain has been complicated by the ongoing legal battle over police protection for the Sussexes should they end up back on British soil.

The Duke of Edinburgh died in April 2021 aged 99.

The service on the life of Prince Philip will be held at Westminster Abbey on Tuesday 29 March.

A number of high profile European royals have confirmed their attendance and will offer guests an opportunity to reflect on the Duke of Edinburgh’s achievements.

Due to coronavirus restrictions enforced last year, only 30 people were allowed to attend Prince Philip’s funeral at the time.

The Queen is said to be hoping to attend her late husband’s Thanksgiving service despite some absences from royal engagements in recent months.

The Queen, who will turn 96 in April, last appeared at Westminster Abbey with a walking stick and has since tested positive and recovered from COVID-19.

The Mirror’s Royal Editor Russell Myers told The Royal Beat that the Queen’s presence is “in limbo” as she has had “fewer good days”.

He said: “Just weeks before 96 she accepted her own restrictions.

“She has trouble moving [and is] described by the people in the palace as good days and not so good days.

“I don’t think we’ll ever see her step down, but we’ll probably see her less and less.

“Will she be doing Prince Philip’s funeral in a few days? That is at stake.”

About the author

MAGASIR

Leave a Comment